Hero Decal

Welcome to the Shire of MERREDIN

Harvest Bans and Total Fire Bans

Published: Wednesday, 3 January 2018 at 12:00:00 AM

Q&A: Harvest and Vehicle Movement Bans and Total Fire Bans

Q. What's the difference between a Harvest and Vehicle Movement Ban and a Total Fire Ban? How can I find out about Harvest Bans and Total Fire Bans?

A: “HARVEST AND VEHICLE MOVEMENT BANS” are set by the local government for a given area. Local government will impose the ban when their Bushfire Control Officer is of the opinion that the use of engines, vehicles, plant or machinery during the prohibited burning times or the restricted burning times or both is likely to cause a fire or contribute to the spread of a bushfire

The Shire of Merredin maintains a Harvest Ban SMS notification list. You can contact the Shire on 9041 1611 to get your number added to the list to receive an SMS alert whenever a Harvest Ban or Total Fire Ban is put in place.

Alternatively, you can phone our Harvest Ban hotline on 9041 2999 at any time to find out if there is a Harvest Ban currently in effect.

“TOTAL FIRE BANS” are set by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services and prohibit any activity that may start a fire.

To find out if DFES have declared a Total Fire Ban, as well as to learn what you specifically can and can’t do during a Total Fire Ban, visit the DFES website or phone the DFES Total Fire Ban hotline on 133 337.

Back to All News