Hero Decal

Welcome to the Shire of MERREDIN

Local Government Elections

Under the Local Government Act 1995 (Act), Ordinary local elections are held every two years on the third Saturday in October. Council members are elected for a term of four years.

Further information regarding local government elections can be found at the following websites:

WA Electoral Commission

Department of Local Government

2024 Local Government Election 

The 2023 election sees the following positions available on Council:

  • 1 Councillor, 1-year term

Electoral Gift Register

Information for Voters

Information for Candidates

Candidate Profiles

When is election day?

If an election is declared, election day will be Friday, 15 March 2024.

When can someone nominate to be a candidate?

Nominations close at 4.00pm Wednesday, 31 January 2024.

When is an election declared?

An election will be declared on Wednesday, 31 January 2024 depending on if more than 1 nomination is received. If only 1 nomination is received, the nominee will be elected unopposed.

When does the poll close?


When are votes counted?


When are the election results announced?

On the evening of Friday, 15 March 2024.

Where can I vote?


When will I receive the voting papers?


What is the system for counting votes?

Optional preferential voting (OPV) will be used for the 2024 local government EXTRAORDINARY elections.

The Department of Local Government, Sports and Cultural Industries (DLGSC) have released information which explains this voting system.

Who is the Returning Officer?

The Western Australian Electoral Commission has appointed the Returning Officer. The details are below:

Name: Wendy Porter

Email: LGXro_merredin@elections.wa.gov.au

Phone: 0461 398 778

Does the Shire have wards?


What do I do if I don't receive my ballot papers?

Please call the Shire’s Governance team on 08 9041 1611 to request replacement ballot papers.

If I own multiple properties in the Shire, can I vote more than once?

No, an individual cannot vote multiple times.

Why do I have to provide a copy of my lease, tenancy agreement, etc?

Under the Local Government Act 1995 and the Local Government (Elections) Regulations 1997 the Chief Executive Officer can make inquires to determine a person's eligibility for enrolment, including asking for a copy of a lease or tenancy agreement to support a claim for enrolment.