What do I need Council approval for?

  • The construction of the following requires a building license:
    1. dwelling or dwelling addition;
    2. commercial building;
    3. patio or pergola;
    4. swimming pool (above and below ground) and outdoor spa;
    5. front fence in the residential area located in the front setback that is greater than 1200mm in height;
    6. fences that do not compy with Council's local laws;
    7. retaining walls greater than 500mm in height;
    8. gazebo;
    9. garage; and
    10. outbuilding (sheds) exceeding 10m2 in area

  • A building license must also be issued prior to undertaking alterations to a commercial building, structural modifications, internal fit-out over $12,000 in value and changes to an existing shop-front.

  • Planning approval is required prior to undertaking development (see item 6).

  • Stallholders permit is required for persons wishing to conduct a food stall, cake stall, sausage sizzle, sell raffle tickets or run a petition on a Council thoroughfare or public place.

  • Permit is required for persons wishing to place advertising signage and/or display merchandise or other items on a Council thoroughfare or public place.

  • Outdoor eating facility approval is required by persons wishing to operate an alfresco dining facility on a Council thoroughfare or public place.

  • Traders permit is required by persons whising to trade on a Council thoroughfare or public place.
Contact Details
Contact Mario Ioppolo
Executive Manager of Development Services
Phone (08) 9041 1611
Fax (08) 9041 2379
Email emds@merredin.wa.gov.au 


    With the 30th June rapidly approaching, the Shire felt it was timely to remind the community how our rates work in Merredin.

    Read More

  • View ANZAC DAY 2018

    ANZAC DAY 2018

    Official proceedings for ANZAC Day 2018 commenced with people accumulating one by one in the darkness to await the dawn. As the sky lightened in the east the lilting tunes of bagpipes broke the air and the Australian Army Band Perth appeared.

    Read More